User Managed Groups (UMGs) is a service for creating groups and restricting access to certain services and resources to only those group members.
A UMG allows for the creation of a group of users (using Penn State Access Account user IDs) and restrict the group to a folder in:
- Personal web space, including protected personal space
- Course Online Account (COLA) space
- Departmental web space
- Any other folders stored in PASS
- A variety of services that leverage PASS
- Anything else that currently leverages Access Accounts via the Enterprise Directory
A single UMG has a three-part structure in a normal group: single owner, one or a group of administrators, and members.
- Owner role may assign members to an admin group.
- Admin role may assign members to a regular group.
- The creator role for a new group is a member of all three groups (owner, administrator, and member).
Authentication is required to access the User Managed Group interface. Once successfully authenticated, the UMG interface is available for creating groups, removing groups, modifying groups, and transferring group ownership.
For more information, see the instructions page.
This service is currently available to Penn State students, faculty, and staff.
There is no charge to use this service.
Check the Support page for information on Identity Services (IdS) and IT Service desk support.