The Penn State Web-based Role Assignment Tool (WebRAT) is used to manage group memberships, roles, and attributes.
WebRAT supports the Penn State Workflow project’s requirement for role-based authorization, assignment and management, and other role-based applications at Penn State. Roles are used to group University faculty and staff together, while attributes are used to specify access restrictions. Role information and assignments are maintained in the Penn State Enterprise Directory Service (LDAP). Roles with specifically defined attributes can be populated with members who have a Penn State Access Account.
Features and Options
The WebRAT tool provides the following functions:
- View roles as assigner, steward, and member
- Search roles
Features available to assigner and steward roles:
- Add and remove users from roles
- View empty roles
- Perform global actions, such as copy, search, and replace
- Initiation of the Role Authorization Workflow form when additional role approvals are required
- Available for existing customers (existing customers include the Penn State financial and human resources communities)
- Not available for new service requests
There is no charge to use this service.
WebRAT is not available for new service requests.
Check the Support page for information on Identity Services and IT Service desk support.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is allowed to be an assigner or a steward?
Faculty and staff
- How do I know if I have one of these roles or am a member?
You will receive an email notification from WebRAT if you are placed in a role.
Policies and Guidelines
- Penn State Wikispaces WebRAT content (available to Penn State faculty and staff)