The Friends of Penn State Account (FPS) provides an end-user who is not directly affiliated with Penn State with a digital identity so that he or she can access a variety of web-based resources and services at Penn State. An FPS digital identity gives a user the opportunity to become part of the Penn State family.
Several centralized Penn State services use web-based applications for their business transactions and use FPS as the primary method for serving these transactions.
With an FPS digital identity, a user can gain access to a variety of Web-based applications and services to:
- Apply for undergraduate admissions via the Office of Undergraduate Admissions Web site
- Enroll in Penn State World Campus courses
- Enroll in Agricultural Extension Courses
- Use eCommerce services
Currently, an FPS digital identity does not provide access to email or other services such as Web space, access to computing labs, and other Internet services.
Difference Between an Access Account and an FPS Account
An Access Account is created only after formal affiliation with the University is established, such as student registration or employment.
The establishment of the relationship ensures that an authorized staff member has verified the identity of the person. In other words, an Access Account holder is vetted, while FPS is not.
- FPS is in a separate realm.
- An Access Account can be used to access a wide range of services on the University network, while an FPS account can only access limited services.
- Students FPS accounts are migrated to the internal Access Account realm after the individual’s enrollment; likewise, before a graduated student Access Accounts expire, they are migrated to the external realm as FPS accounts.
Create an FPS Account
To create an FPS Account, please go to the Friends of Penn State application.
For support, questions, see the Identity Services Support page.