Electronic Account Activation is a process to activate Access Accounts online.
Currently, this service is available to World Campus students, Dickinson School of Law students, Penn State Hershey medical students, incoming undergraduate students, and other approved cases.
The activation process includes a welcome screen, links to policies (Computer and Network Security and Copyright), an access account activation quiz, policy agreements, and an electronic signature.
This process replaces the typical account activation process that includes a “wet” signature (a physically signed piece of paper) at a Penn State Signature Station, which are expected to be decommissioned within the next year.
- Access Account can be activated online.
- Access Account activation can be done at any time and from any location that has Internet access (no need to travel to a location that houses a signature station).
- Access Account can be activated quickly, without any delays associated with hard copies being processed or postal delivery.
- Policy information is shared with new users in an efficient and consistent manner.
- Integrated setting of user security questions to assist users with the future re-setting of their Access Account passwords.
Service Availability and Maintenance
Service is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
To keep systems running at peak performance and to ensure the best possible service, routine testing and maintenance is performed during the daily maintenance window from 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. EST/EDT. During this time, systems and services may be affected. Unanticipated urgent service issues may require maintenance at other times.
There is no charge for this service.
Customers for this service are entities whose constituents have a need to activate the constituents’ Access Accounts. World Campus, Penn State Hershey, Dickinson School of Law, and Undergraduate Admissions are among the current list of customers of this service.
- World Campus students
- Dickinson School of Law students
- Penn State Hershey employees and students
- Incoming undergraduate students
- Other approved cases (such as select faculty and staff members)
An account activation email will begin the process for a user in one of the current customer groups. The individual will receive an email (to an email address on file with the University) notifying the user that an Access Account is ready for activation.
A user will have seven days to activate the Access Account using the link provided in the notification. If the account is not activated within seven days, then the link will expire and a user will need to follow the instructions in the account activation email to request that a new activation be sent. Once a user is vetted, a new activation is sent.
Check the Support page for information on Identity Services and IT Service Desk support.