The following are frequently asked questions related to the Electronic Account Activation service.
Click on the question to see the answers.
- Who can use Electronic Account Activation?
- What are the benefits of using Electronic Account Activation?
- After I receive the activation email, how long do I have to activate my account?
- Is there any charge for using this service?
- I received my Access Account activation email, but the link doesn’t work. What should I do?
- I’m trying to activate my account via the email link sent to me, but the process locked up on me. What should I do?
- What do I need in order to use the Electronic Account Activation service?
- What is the Electronic Account Activation process like?
Who can use Electronic Account Activation?
Users of the service are students, faculty, staff, and designated affiliates who are sent notifications requesting that they activate their Access Accounts online.
Currently, World Campus students, Dickinson School of Law students, Penn State Hershey medical and students, incoming undergraduate students, and other approved cases are among the groups who can use the Electronic Account Activation service.
What are the benefits of using Electronic Account Activation?
Access Accounts can be activated online, at any time from any location that has Internet access (no need to travel to a location that houses a signature station). In addition, Access Accounts can be activated quickly, without delays associated with hard copies being processed or postal delivery.
Another advantage is that policy information is shared with new users in an efficient and consistent manner.
After I receive the activation email, how long do I have to activate my account?
The email link (sometimes called a token) for Access Account Activation will be active for 7 days, meaning that it expires at the time the email was sent on the 8th day. If the individual does not activate the account before the token expires, then the individual will automatically be sent up to two new activation email notifications.
If the individual still does not activate the account, then the student can call the service desk for assistance.
I received my Access Account activation email, but the link doesn’t work. What should I do?
If you have not activated your account within a week of receiving the Access Account activation email, then the link will expire and not work.
If your activation email has expired or the link does not work for any other reason, then contact the ITS Accounts Office to request a new Access Account Activation email (unless you’re a Penn State Hershey employee or student).
Penn State Hershey employees and students should contact the Technical Support Center at 717-531-6281 with questions or problems.
If IT staff initiates another Access Account Activation email notification for a user, then the new email link will be “active” for a week.
- The Electronic Account Activation process will lock if incorrect information has been entered three times in a row.
- The process will also lock if a user attempts to re-enter the application workflow since navigation in this application is strictly enforced. A user should avoid using the browser’s backward and forward buttons.
Contact the ITS Accounts Office for assistance, unless you’re a Penn State Hershey employee or student. Penn State Hershey users should contact the Technical Support Center at 717-531-6281.
What do I need in order to use the Electronic Account Activation service?
For employees and students accepted to the University, an email address will need to be on file with the University. Communications from the department for an employee or student will have additional information for completing the online Access Account Activation process.
What is the Electronic Account Activation process like?
You will be sent an email with an activation link to begin the process. You will then be led through a series of screens to complete the activation process.
The screens will include identity verification, policy information, a three-question policy quiz (for learning about the policies), policy agreement, setting of password security questions, and creating an account password.
When the process has been completed, you will see a screen that says “Account successfully activated” and confirmation emails will be sent to your personal email account and your newly activated Penn State email account.