Short-Term Access Accounts (STAA) are Access Accounts available to University departments to be issued for a short-term (up to 45 days) for visitors to the University for uses, such as conference speaking, camps, training, library patrons, and project collaborations at other institutions.
STAAs can be re-issued to a different person and are displayed in the Directory Services as “STAA USER.” An ITS Charge Account is required for this type of Access Account.
- STAAs are created in pools (groups of STAAs).
- To request a pool of accounts, one must be a full-time Penn State faculty/staff member.
- An ITS Charge Account must be established for billing purposes since the STAAs, as a for-fee service, are calculated on daily basis. The sponsoring organization will be billed for all active accounts.
- A Sponsored Account is required for those in need of access extending beyond 45 days.
- Short-Term accounts cannot be renewed for individual use; therefore, DO NOT use an STAA in a program that requires access extending beyond 45 days or in ANGEL.
For more information please email the Accounts Office.
Creation, Distribution, and Management of STAAs
To apply for a pool of STAAs, the department representative who is requesting the account will need to complete the account request form: and click on “I would like to request a Short Term Access Account (STAA)”
- After a STAA pool is ready, group supervisors and administrators can distribute the accounts via the STAA Distribution Center. Administrators are required to do in-person proofing at the time of issuance. A valid photo ID must be presented.
- Valid photo ID’s examples include but are not limited to: driver’s license, passport, and other government-issued ID.
- Should a minor not have a valid photo ID, his/her parent or guardian must fill out the proof of parent or guardian identity must be collected and added to the form.
- All minor students and their parent or guardian must read and sign the Internet Access Consent and Waiver before receiving a STAA.
- Supervisors can designate administrators and a supervisor-by-proxy via the STAA Management Center.
- There is a one-time initial setup fee for Short-Term Access Accounts. A department will only be billed further for each account that is subsequently used.
For more information, including how to request an account or to get support, see the Access Accounts page.